Marketing PTSD? You’ve been burned a time or two by marketing vendors who overpromise and underdeliver.
There MUST be a way to know whether your strategies are driving results or whether they’re not. But with so many different channels and metrics to consider, it can be difficult to know where to start.
How do you know if your marketing efforts are actually working?
It’s not enough to simply track website traffic and social media likes. The key to improving your marketing return on investment (ROI) lies in understanding how to track conversions and measure the effectiveness of your marketing campaigns.
That’s where this guide comes in.
In this article, we’ll take a deep dive into the world of tracking ROI and marketing effectiveness, and provide you with practical tips and strategies to help you turn your impressions into conversions.
From the different types of metrics available to setting clear goals, we’ll cover everything you need to know to ensure your marketing efforts are delivering real results.
Want a successful marketing campaign? Tracking ROI and marketing effectiveness is crucial.
One of the biggest benefits of tracking ROI and marketing effectiveness is that it helps you to identify which channels are most effective.
Without tracking, it’s impossible to know which marketing channels are driving the most significant impact on your bottom line… and which ones are wasted money. Armed with the information you get from this analysis, you can then begin optimizing your campaigns. By focusing on the channels you now know are most effective, you increase your ROI.
The second way that tracking helps is by identifying areas for improvement in your campaigns. Using the data you garner regarding marketing effectiveness, you can determine which aspects of your campaigns are not working. Then you make the necessary adjustments to improve them.
Now that you understand why tracking current ROI matters to your potential ROI, let’s look into how to calculate ROI and the metrics to use.
Key Metrics To Track On The Customer’s Journey
Calculating ROI and marketing effectiveness requires a deep understanding of the customer journey. The customer journey typically consists of several stages, including awareness, consideration, and decision.
In every stage along this customer journey, you’ll need to track several key metrics, often referred to among marketers as “key performance indicators” or KPIs.
Here are some of the most important KPIs for measuring ROI and marketing effectiveness in each stage of the customer journey:
1. AWARENESS STAGE
- Impressions: The number of times your ad or content is displayed to a user.
- Clicks: The number of times a user clicks on your ad or content.
- Engagement rates: The percentage of users who engage with your ad or content (e.g., likes, shares, comments).
2. CONSIDERATION STAGE
- Click-through rates: The percentage of clicks your ad receives from the number of times your ad is shown. (Essentially, CTR = clicks ÷ impressions)
- Conversion rates: The percentage of users who take a specific non-purchase action (e.g. sign up for a newsletter, participate in a live chat, request more information, etc.).
3. DECISION STAGE
- Purchase rates: The percentage of users who actually make a purchase.
- Customer lifetime value: The total amount of money a customer is expected to spend on your products or services over their lifetime.
By tracking these metrics, you can gain valuable insights into the effectiveness of your campaigns and identify areas for improvement.
4 Tools We Use For Measuring Marketing ROI
1. Google Analytics
For website visits, Google Analytics provides a wealth of data on website traffic, conversion rates, and other key metrics.
2. Social media platform analytics
Social media platforms offer analytics trackers that can provide valuable insights into things like reach, engagement, and traffic.
3. Email marketing software
A good email marketing software will monitor the metrics that matter most to you, including clicks, conversions, and engagement.
4. Customer relationship management (CRM) systems
The fastest way to increase conversions is responsiveness. CRM helps shorten your response time with automatic lead alerts and drip campaigns.
Marketing Scorecards: Accelerate Your Marketing Effectiveness
A marketing scorecard tracks the success of your business’s marketing efforts by measuring how well each campaign or tactic is performing against your predetermined Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
Using a marketing scorecard is the best way to quickly identify which of your campaigns are delivering the best results, as well as your areas for improvement.
Your marketing scorecard should be composed of 4 things:
- Goals and/or targets for each KPI
- Performance of each KPI
- Person(s) responsible for each task, and thus, goals.
Some best practices for tracking ROI and marketing effectiveness with a marketing scorecard include:
1. Define your objectives: Before you start tracking metrics, it’s essential to define your objectives. What do you want to achieve with your marketing campaigns, and how will you measure success?
2. Identify your KPIs: Once you’ve defined your objectives, identify the KPIs that are most relevant to your goals. These might include metrics such as conversion rates, customer lifetime value, and engagement rates.
3. Set benchmarks: To track the effectiveness of your campaigns, it’s essential to set benchmarks for each KPI. These benchmarks should be based on past performance, industry standards, and other relevant factors.
4. Use real-time data: To ensure that you’re making informed decisions, it’s essential to use real-time data. This allows you to adjust your campaigns quickly and optimize them for maximum ROI.
5. Continuously evaluate and adjust: To ensure that your campaigns are as effective as possible, it’s essential to continuously evaluate and adjust them. This involves analyzing the data, identifying areas for improvement, and making the necessary adjustments.
Marketing ROI: Common Challenges and Mistakes To Avoid
Tracking ROI and marketing effectiveness is not without its challenges. Some common challenges and mistakes to avoid include:
- Ignoring the customer journey: As mentioned above, it’s essential to take into account each step of the customer journey. Don’t focus solely on conversion rates; track metrics at each stage of the funnel.
- Focusing on the wrong metrics: Your KPI choices can make or break your success. Focus on the metrics that are most relevant to your goals, and avoid getting distracted by vanity metrics (such as social media likes or email open rates.)
- Ignoring deeper problems: Sometimes, it’s simply not the marketing. Instead, the problem may be a poor product-market fit, a competitive landscape, or a failure to rise to audience expectations. In those cases, you may need to fix other issues within your business before you experience true marketing success.
How Tracking ROI and Marketing Effectiveness Can Be Made Easier
The future of ROI tracking and marketing effectiveness is bright. As technology continues to evolve, the tools and techniques we use to track ROI and marketing effectiveness continue to improve.
It can be a lot to learn, but we’re here to help.
Our Fractional CMOs are skilled in aligning your marketing efforts with your business goals, so you can stay ahead of the curve and continue to improve your marketing effectiveness.
At yorCMO, we’re on your team. By partnering on the C-Suite, our marketing experts fully engage with your company, aligning your marketing strategy with the right tactics and giving you clarity for continued, predictable growth.
BOOK MY FREE CONSULTATION NOW